Thursday, July 15, 2010

Getting Organized with Svenskt Tenn

alpha omega bookends, cast iron

So right after I wrote a post about bookends, I found another pair that is begging to be shared: these alpha omega cast iron bookends, available in red and black. [Note: 1 U.S. dollar currently equals about 7.3 Swedish kroner.]

I must thank Alison Heath for this find; she got me looking into Josef Frank (the designer whose work inspired the July 15 Google doodle) and Svenskt Tenn, an interior design shop in Sweden. Svenskt Tenn "was founded in 1924 by Estrid Ericson, who recruited Josef Frank to the company 10 years later."


cute pewter letter opener

And Svenskt Tenn has a number of interesting products, beyond those bookends. For example, even though I rarely use a letter opener, I'm totally enchanted by this one.


pewter letter tray / in box

This letter tray (or in box) doesn't have the cute factor going for it, but it's very nice, anyway.


chest of drawers

If you have plenty of money to spend - or just like to window shop on the web - take a look at Svenskt Tenn's cabinets, including this chest of drawers. We're all too late to get the limited edition Flora chest of drawers, which is amazing.


tray with bird pattern

And finally, while it's pushing it a bit to call a tray an organizing product, I just had to include one because I love the fanciful patterns.

3 comments:

Claire Josefine said...

Oh, but trays are an organizing tool! I have an artist client who often has several beading or other little craft projects going at once. She keeps each project on a tray, and her husband built her narrow (height) shelves to store them on.

SueBK said...

I bought myself a metal tray; about 4 or 5 cm deep, 40 cm by 20 cm (roughly). Has handles, and I think was designed for moving seedling trays about the garden.
I use it in the sewing room. My cutting table doubles as a study desk, ironing centre, layout desk etc etc. As I'm working on a project, I toss the tools, thread, buttons etc I'm using into the tray. If I need more space on the desk, I simply pick up the tray and slide it into a shelf.
Means I can use the desk more effectively, and I'm not constantly trying to remember where I put my unpicker!

Jeri Dansky said...

Claire and SueBK, thanks for the great examples of using trays as organizing tools!